1. Know the things that goes in your tank. One means of extending the life of your septic tank is to be aware of the things that you put in it. Make sure not to place any cigarette ends, wet tissues, diapers, napkins, coffee grounds, fats, cooking oil and other non-biodegradable substances in the septic tank. These non-biodegradable substances have the capability to cause an obstruction in the septic tank necessitating a pricey repair job.
2. Keep the drain field. The drain field is the main section of your septic tank which aids to take away the solid wastes from the liquid ones. Here are some tips that you need to keep in mind so as to make your drain fields last long. Make sure not to park your vehicle or drive near the drain field. Make sure not to plant trees close to the drain field in order to prevent them from growing in it or near it. In addition, be certain to keep the drainage water systems such as the gutters and sump pumps away from the drain field area.
3. Assess the septic tank every now and then. Regular inspection as well as proper maintenance of the septic tank by an expert will increase normal functioning of the septic tank.
4. Take advantage of pumping services. In order for the solid wastes to be properly broken down, pumping out of the septic tank every two years is very important. Regular pumping of septic tank will not only aid in increase the life of the tank, on the other hand, it also prevents system failure.
5. Set the usage of household chemicals. Keep in mind that too much use of household chemicals such as drain cleaner, bleach and detergent to mention a few can lead the septic tank to malfunction. These household chemicals have the capability to prevent the bacteria inside the tank to breakdown the waste in it.
6. Ask some help from the experts. With regards to regular cleaning and maintenance of the septic tank, it is crucial that you rely on the assistance of the professionals. The septic tank service provider will visit your place and meticulously assess your septic tank for signs of leaks as well as damages. They would assess the scum and sludge layers in order to know the main source of the problem. And each time you find a very small problem with your septic tank, it is highly recommended to be certain that you call a professional for help.